This. Is. Amazing. And also one of my favorite food hacks.
Who knew that jackfruit – a spiky-looking fruit thing – could be used to make a nice, hearty barbecue?
Obviously, this won’t be the exact same as pulled pork. But it does have way fewer calories if that’s what you’re into, and is also way better in terms of animal ethics and the environment – win win win. Flavor, for me, has always been much more about the sauces and seasonings than the meat/veggies itself, so this is my go-to BBQ substitute.
Vegan BBQ Pulled Pork
- 1 can young green jackfruit
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce of choice
- Optional seasonings (liquid smoke, salt/pepper, chili powder, etc)
1. Drain and rinse the jackfruit. (thought: “young green jackfruit” would be my rapper name)
2. Cook the jackfruit by adding it to a pot with a small amount of water. Turn the heat up high, and let it cook until the jackfruit is tender and coming off in pulled-pork-like strands. It’ll take only 5 or so minutes.
3. Add the BBQ sauce and seasonings, and continue cooking until you like the thickness of the BBQ sauce.
And BOOM. You’re done making some seriously guilt-free ‘cue. I love adding this into wraps, sloppy joes, or just adding some beans & rice and then calling it a day.
What would you add this into?